When you wear braces, it’s important to look after them to make sure that they do their job and you can enjoy a perfectly straight smile when treatment draws to a close. If you have braces, here are 5 tips to help you protect them:
- Wear a mouth guard: if you’re playing contact sports, wear a mouth guard to protect your braces and your teeth and gums. You can get specially made guards for braces from your dentist.
- Avoid hard foods: if you’re wearing braces, you won’t have to make wholesale changes to your diet, but it’s wise to bear a few tips in mind, especially avoiding hard foods. Most foods will be fine, but take care when eating things like boiled sweets, popcorn and crusty bread rolls.
- Keep your braces clean: if you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment and you’ve got a fixed brace, you need to keep it clean as possible to minimise the risk of dental decay. Clean your teeth at least twice a day, and make sure you do a thorough job each time. It can be beneficial to take a brush around with you so that you can brush after eating if you find that food tends to get stuck in your braces.
- Keep up to date with dental checks: if you have braces, it’s more important than ever to keep up to date with dental checks and follow-up appointments. Your dentist can keep an eye on your oral health, as well as the progress of your treatment.
- Use additional cleaning methods: brushing is often the most effective means of cleaning the mouth, but it’s also useful to floss or clean using an oral irrigator. If you need advice or help with cleaning, don’t hesitate to ask your dentist.