If you’re keen to steer clear of decay and keep gum disease at bay, a good oral hygiene routine is a must. If you’re not sure if you’re doing enough at home, here are 5 top tips to improve your daily regime:
- Brush twice a day, every day: do you ever have days when you can’t be bothered to brush your teeth and all you want to do is fall into bed? If so, try and find the energy to stay up 2 minutes longer and your teeth and gums will thank you forever. It’s really important to brush your teeth twice a day, every day. It only takes 2 minutes to make a massive difference to your oral health.
- Set a timer: many people don’t spend long enough cleaning their teeth, and setting a timer is an easy way to make sure you’re doing a thorough job. If you don’t have a brush with a timer, you can set an alarm on your phone or even brush along to a song.
- Use fluoride toothpaste: fluoride is a mineral, which helps to protect the enamel and reduce the risk of decay. Using fluoride toothpaste can help to strengthen your teeth. When you’ve brushed, don’t rinse, as this will wash the fluoride away.
- Brush gently: It’s understandable to assume that the harder you brush, the better the job. However, this isn’t the case when it comes to your teeth. If you brush too aggressively, you can wear away your tooth enamel, increasing the risk of sensitivity and cavities.
- Floss: brushing is really important for good oral health, but you can’t possibly reach every part of your mouth with a toothbrush. Flossing is a way of targeting areas that can’t be cleaned with a brush, such as the cracks between your teeth. Try and floss once a day.