Five Tooth-Friendly Summer Foods
Summer is on its way, and many of us are looking forward to embracing some seasonal favourites. If you’re keen to keep your diet tooth-friendly this summer, here are 5 foods to include on the menu:
- Strawberries: strawberries are packed with vitamins, but they also contain malic acid, which is a natural stain remover. The rough skin of the strawberry can also help to banish surface stains, giving you a lovely, glossy smile.
- Cheese: summer is a perfect time of year to enjoy picnics, salads and cold pasta dishes. Cheese is a great addition to these simple meals and snacks, and the good news is that it’s not just tasty. It’s also laden with calcium, which is great for keeping your teeth strong, and it has a high pH value. This is beneficial because it reduces acidity in the mouth.
- Raw vegetables: when it’s hot outside, it’s much more tempting to reach for raw vegetables and fruit than when it’s raining cats and dogs. Eating celery, cucumber and raw carrots stimulates saliva production and blood flow to the gums. These snacks are also sugar-free, and they contain important vitamins and minerals.
- Leafy green vegetables: salads are all the rage at this time of year, and this is great news for your teeth. Salad leaves and leafy green vegetables contain vitamin A and calcium, both of which help to strengthen the tooth enamel.
- Salmon: salmon is a superfood, which has all kinds of benefits for your health. Salmon and other types of oily fish contain essential omega oils, which have been found to reduce the risk of gum disease.
Tags: Food, Salmon, Strawberry, Vegetables