July 12th, 2017
You’ve got a gorgeous new, straight smile. The next job is to keep it looking fabulous for as long as possible. If you’ve just had your braces removed, here are 5 ways to protect your newly straightened teeth.
- Wear a retainer: retainers are orthodontic appliances, which are worn to maintain the new position of the teeth and prevent the teeth from moving once the braces have been taken off. Your dentist will explain how the retainer works and you can usually choose between a fixed or removable retainer.
- See your dentist: just because you’ve finished your treatment, doesn’t mean that you don’t need to keep in touch with us! We hope to see you for regular check-ups and follow-up appointments to check that everything is perfect and keep an eye on your oral health in general.
- Brush: oral hygiene is really important for everyone, so we strongly recommend sticking to a good daily cleaning regime at home.
- Use a mouth guard: if you enjoy sport or you take part in activities like martial arts, we recommend wearing a mouth guard to protect your teeth. Even if you only play from time to time, you never know when an accident may happen and you don’t want your new smile to be ruined. We recommend dentist-made guards, as they provide a perfect fit.
- Watch your diet: there are some foods that are lot better for your teeth than others. Now that you’ve got the smile of your dreams, you should take good care of it. Try and avoid foods that are very hard, which could damage your teeth, and those that have a low pH value or high sugar content.
July 10th, 2017
Dentures can be a wonderful solution for patients with missing teeth, but they can also be problematic. If you’ve had negative experiences with loose or painful dentures, you may be looking for an alternative option. At City Dental Leeds, we pride ourselves on offering the finest treatments out there, and we’re proud to offer dentures as stable as natural teeth. To provide you with dentures that are comfortable, functional, natural looking and stable, we offer denture stabilisation or implant-retained dentures.
What are implant-retained dentures and how could they benefit me?
Implant-retained dentures are prosthetic dentures that are secured in place by dental implants. Implants are small titanium devices, which are designed to integrate into the bone tissue and take on the role of the missing tooth root. When an implant is in place, it provides the new tooth with the same level of support and stability as a natural, healthy tooth root. There’s no risk of a denture slipping or becoming loose, which gives you peace of mind and enables you to enjoy enhanced bite power. You can eat what you like, and you don’t ever have to worry that your denture will cause irritation or sore spots.
We can use a system called All-on-4 to provide same-day smiles or we can anchor dentures using mini dental implants or standard implants. To support the implant, there has to be dense tissue available in the jaw bone. If the tissue is too weak or shallow, mini implants may be recommended, rather than traditional implants. As they are shorter, they are easier to tolerate. All-on-4 is a system that is designed for instant results, and it takes a single day, rather than several months.
If you would like to find out more about implant-retained dentures, call us today and make an appointment. Our friendly dentists will be happy to answer all your questions.
June 30th, 2017
Most people know that it’s important to clean the teeth twice a day. Although brushing is really effective, it only cleans part of your mouth. This is why we strongly recommend cleaning between the teeth.
The importance of cleaning between the teeth
When you brush your teeth, you clean away bacteria and food debris from the biting surfaces and the areas of the teeth you can access with a brush, but it’s not possible to get the brush head into every area of the mouth. It’s usually very difficult to clean between the teeth because the brush head is too large to fit between the gaps. This is when flossing and interdental brushing come in useful.
Flossing is a popular means of cleaning the gaps between the teeth. It involves passing a thin piece of tape, called floss, between the teeth. Flossing displaces trapped bits of food and bacteria from those narrow cracks, reducing the risk of plaque formation. It can also help to prevent staining in areas that you can’t polish with your toothbrush. When you’re flossing, always be gentle, and never tug at the tape. If you pull too hard, this can hurt your gums.
Interdental brushes are specially designed, small hand-held brushes, which target the cracks between the teeth. There are various different sizes and thicknesses to choose from, and your dentist or hygienist can help you to choose the right brush for you and give you a demonstration to show you how to use your interdental brushes.
Brushing is really important for keeping dental diseases at bay, but don’t underestimate the importance of cleaning the cracks between your teeth. If you do this, you’ll achieve a much more thorough clean and you can reduce your risk of decay and gum disease by preventing plaque formation.
June 29th, 2017
Have you ever thought about what it would be like to have a flawless smile like those you see on toothpaste adverts and Instagram feeds? It’s very rare to have a naturally perfect set of pearly whites, but there are lots of ways we can work our magic to create stunning smiles. We have an impressive range of treatments on offer if you’re keen on a smile transformation. We can make your dream smile a reality, right here in the heart of Leeds.
Our smile makeovers
Smile makeovers are designed to iron out imperfections and create a smile that you’ll be proud to show off. A smile makeover is a bespoke service, which utilises a series of different treatments to achieve a perfect outcome. No two smile makeovers are the same because every patient is different.
We have many treatments on offer when it comes to planning a smile makeover and we can draw up a treatment plan based on your expectations, the issues you want to address, your budget and any other factors that could influence the choices you make, such as time constraints. It’s really important to us that we get it right, so we actively encourage our patients to get involved in the planning process.
We offer the latest cosmetic, orthodontic and restorative services, all of which can be combined to produce an incredible smile transformation. Examples of treatments we may recommend include:
- Veneers and Componeers
- Cosmetic bonding
- Tooth whitening
- Cosmetic braces
- Gum contouring
- Crowns, bridges and dentures
- Dental implants
If you dream of a perfect smile, why not give us a call and find out how we can make your dreams come true?
June 27th, 2017
At City Dental Leeds, it’s really important to us to provide our clients with the latest treatments and modern technology, which can improve the standard of care and range of services we provide. We are very proud to have a CT scanner on-site and we strongly believe that investing in technology enables us to perfect your treatment.
About CT scans
CT scans are used widely in medicine and they also play an important role in dentistry. CT scans are often preferred to traditional X-rays because they produce much more detailed images. With X-rays, you can only see the location of the teeth and get an idea of the thickness of the bone. With a CT scan, you can see 3D images, cross-sectional images and determine the density of the bone.
Our main use for CT scans is planning dental implant treatment. We carry out scans to ascertain if a patient is a good candidate for implants, and we also use the images to plan treatment with optimum precision. For implant treatment to be successful, it’s very important that the bone in the jaw is strong and dense enough to support the implant. If this isn’t the case, conventional implants may not be the best solution.
If a patient is a good match for implant treatment, CT scans enable us to locate the best possible position for the implant, and the images can guide our dentists to maximise the chances of a successful outcome.
What happens when you have a CT scan?
CT scans aren’t painful, and there’s nothing to worry about. The scan won’t last long and in most cases, it will all be over within 15 minutes. Before your scan, your dentist will explain exactly what is going to happen, and you’ll be asked to remove jewellery and glasses. You’ll then be guided into position and asked to stay as still as possible while the scanner captures the images.
If you’d like to find out more about CT scans and how they work, don’t hesitate to give us a call today.
June 22nd, 2017
If you’re a keen athlete, you may be aware of the importance of protecting your teeth when you play sport, but what would you say if we told you that we could provide you with a gum shield, which doesn’t just protect you from dental injuries, but also enhances your performance? We are proud to be a provider for OSO Athletic, a game-changing mouth guard, which could give you that competitive edge.
About OSO Athletic
The OSO Athletic mouth guard is not your average piece of kit. This is so much more than a standard mouth guard. This device is specially designed to adjust to the contours and shape of your mouth, and it alters the position of your jaw when you put it in your mouth. By doing this, you can enjoy the highest standards of protection, as well as a lower risk of injury and muscle pain and increased balance, power and strength. Many athletes experience discomfort when they wear mouth guards, but these appliances are developed based on precise measurements and images. By adjusting the position of the jaw, muscle contraction is more efficient, and you’ll have a lower risk of jaw pain, stiffness and aches and pains in the neck, shoulders and back.
Who can benefit from the OSO Athletic?
The OSO Athletic can benefit anyone who participates in sports or activities that carry a risk of facial or dental injuries. This includes sports such as hockey, rugby and lacrosse, as well as fighting sports and martial arts. You don’t have to be an elite performer to enjoy the advantages of using an OSO Athletic mouth guard, and we strongly recommend competitors of all abilities to consider using this incredible innovation.
If you like the sound of the OSO Athletic mouth guard, call us now to find out more and arrange a consultation.
June 20th, 2017
You’d be amazed at how strong the teeth are, but they’re not immune to damage. If you’ve got a broken tooth, there are various treatments and restorative techniques we can use to repair your damaged tooth and restore your smile to its former glory. These include:
- Dental bonding: in cases where the tooth is chipped, rather than broken, we can use a technique known as dental bonding. Bonding involves using a tooth-coloured resin material called composite to fill in the broken part of the tooth and reshape the tooth. This treatment offers both restorative and cosmetic benefits, and it only takes around one hour. There’s no pain involved, and you’ll notice the difference immediately.
- Crowns: dental crowns are types of restoration that are used to repair broken and decayed teeth. Crowns are sometimes called caps because they are placed over the top of the remaining tooth structure. Before a crown is fitted, the tooth will be shaped and cleaned and any damaged tissue will be removed. Every crown is custom-made to ensure a perfect fit and we can use ceramics to produce very natural aesthetics.
- Filling: if the tooth has a very minor fracture, it may be possible to restore it using a white filling. These fillings are made from a mixture of dental composite and resins. Your dentist will match the shade of the composite to your tooth colour so that you won’t be able to tell the difference between the composite and the natural tooth tissue.
If you have a broken or chipped tooth, we recommend getting in touch as soon as possible.
June 15th, 2017
In the past, you never really associated braces with speed, but today, it’s a very different story. Gone are the days when you had to wear braces for years on end. Today, thanks to incredible innovations like the Inman Aligner, we can straighten the teeth in weeks, rather than months or years. Did you know that in some cases, it can take as little as 6 weeks to produce amazing new smiles?
What is the Inman Aligner and is it suitable for me?
The Inman Aligner is a removable orthodontic appliance, which is used to correct minor issues and imperfections. This system is geared towards those who need limited movement and it is ideally suited to patients with problems that affect the front teeth.
The Inman Aligner comprises of two main parts. These parts produce forces, which push and pull the teeth, causing them to move in the desired direction. There is a coiled spring located at the back of the teeth and a fine metal bar, which runs along the front. Although this isn’t an invisible solution, it is much less noticeable than traditional fixed braces.
The benefits of the Inman Aligner
Speed is the greatest selling-point of the Inman Aligner. While some treatments take 12-24 months to work their magic, the Inman Aligner produces results in just 6-16 weeks. The brace is discreet, and you can also enjoy the convenience and flexibility of being able to remove your brace. This makes life much easier when it comes to eating and brushing your teeth.
If you’d like to find out if the Inman Aligner is a perfect match for you, call us now and book an appointment or pop in and see us if you’re in Leeds city centre.
June 13th, 2017
If you’ve spent weeks or months wearing braces to straighten your smile, the last thing you want is for your teeth to start slipping out of position. We strongly advise all our orthodontic patients to wear retainers after they have finished treatment. This helps to prevent relapse and will ensure your beautiful new smile looks perfect for years to come.
Retainers are orthodontic appliances, which are worn to keep the teeth in order after braces have been removed. There are various types of retainer, including fixed and removable appliances. Retainers can be made from transparent materials and they can also be fitted to the back of your teeth, so you don’t need to worry about spoiling the aesthetic of your new smile.
Wearing a retainer is incredibly important because it holds the teeth in position. If you don’t have a retainer, there’s a high risk of the teeth slipping and starting to move out of position, and in the worst cases, repeat treatment may be required. By wearing a retainer, you can increase your chances of keeping your smile in check.
Are retainers painful?
Initially, when you wear your retainer for the first time, you may find it a little uncomfortable, but like braces, you’ll soon get used to it. If you do find it painful, don’t hesitate to give us a call and we will do our best to make you feel more comfortable.
If you’d like to find out more about retainers or you’re interested in our orthodontic treatments, why not give us a call and book a consultation? Your dream smile could be just around the corner.
June 8th, 2017
After months of wind and rain, the summer is finally within touching distance. If you’re keen to sport a bright summer smile, we have some great treatment options available. Here are three incredible ways we can give you a radiant smile in perfect time to enjoy those hazy summer days.
- Tooth whitening: tooth whitening is a very popular cosmetic dental treatment, which enables us to lighten the shade of the teeth significantly to give you a dazzling, healthier looking smile. We offer convenient home whitening treatment, which can fit into your schedule easily. You don’t even need to leave the comfort of the sofa to enjoy the results. Home whitening is really simple. All you have to do is wear a pair of customised whitening trays for around 6 hours per day for 10-14 consecutive days. Your trays will be comfortable, and you can wear them whenever is convenient for you.
- Veneers: veneers are famed for creating stunning smiles and if you want a dream smile for summer, they could be the ideal solution for you. If you have stained, chipped, uneven or misshapen teeth, we can use veneers to transform your smile. After your consultation, we will plan your treatment and in just 2-3 weeks, you could be showing off your incredible new summer smile.
- Hygiene treatments: have you ever noticed how much brighter and cleaner your teeth look after a trip to the dentist? When you have a check-up, your dentist will give your teeth a quick polish, but if you’re desperate for even better results, you can book a session with one of our talented, friendly hygienists. Our hygienists offer intensive cleaning treatments, which will remove surface stains and give your smile a gorgeous, healthy summer glow.
If you’re dreaming of a sparkling smile for summer, call us now to make an appointment.