At City Dental Leeds, we like to treat every client like a VIP and our crowns are just the ticket for those looking for a regal finish to their smile. If you’re interested in porcelain crowns fit for a king, look no further!
About dental crowns
At dental crown is a type of restoration used to treat decayed or damaged teeth. They sit over the top of the tooth to provide greater strength and enhance tooth functionality. Crowns are sometimes known as caps and they can be made from various materials, including precious metals, ceramics and porcelain.
You may be advised to have a crown if:
- you have damaged your tooth in an accident
- you’ve suffered a dental injury
- you have had a large filling in the past
- the tooth is severely decayed or you have an infection that has spread to the pulp tissue (a new crown is usually placed following root canal treatment in this case)
- bridgework or dental implant treatment has been carried out
How is a crown fitted?
The procedure to fit a crown usually spans two sessions. The first session is used to prepare the tooth and create the impression for the crown, while the second session is used to fit the crown. Each crown is custom-made to ensure that it fits perfectly over the top of the existing tooth structure and we recommend porcelain crowns for a completely natural looking finish.
How long should a crown last?
Crowns are not built to last a lifetime, but they should last for several years. It’s important to look after your crowned tooth in the same way as your other teeth. If you care for your crown well, it should last up to 10 years.