There’s nothing better than that fresh feeling you get when you’ve cleaned your teeth and you’ve got a lovely sparkling smile. If you’re after a fresher, cleaner mouth and a bright, beautiful smile, here are five brushing tips to take on board:
- Brush for 2 minutes: when you clean your teeth, do you wiggle the brush around and hope for the best? If so, you’re probably not doing the thorough job your teeth require. Spend at least 2 minutes brushing your teeth twice a day. If you don’t have a brush with a timer, you can set one on your phone or brush along to a song.
- Use a brush with a small head: if you find it tough to reach right into the corners of the mouth with your toothbrush, it may be because the brush head is too big. If you have brush with a small head, you can clean the corners much more effectively.
- Brush gently: you may think that the harder you brush, the better; however, this is not the case. If you brush very vigorously, you can actually do more harm than good. This is because brushing firmly can damage your enamel.
- Floss: flossing is important because it cleans that parts of the mouth that are commonly missed when you brush, such as the tiny gaps between your teeth.
- Brush your tongue: your tongue tends to attract bacteria, and most cases of bad breath are linked to bacteria lurking around the back of the tongue. When these bacteria feed, they release acids, which have an unpleasant odour. When you’ve finished brushing your teeth, clean your tongue with a brush or a tongue scraper.